So much has been going on this week and I have so much to fill you in on! I do have to say, I MISS my daily blogging therapy and promise to never take such a long break again! Today is Friday, and I normally do Friday Favorites, but honestly, these are going to be more like tangents since I have so many random things to fill you in on! Umm, yeah, this is gonna be a bit of a long one! J
Here are my Friday Favorites (a.k.a. tangents). Let’s start from the beginning!
On Tuesday I had a couple of people who deserved TROPHIES in my book:
1. Rachel, the bestie! She received a HUGE promotion at work, and is going to be a big boss at her school now. Wooohooo! So proud of her and I know she is going to do a fantastic job!!! We went to the school board meeting to watch her get officially announced in her new position and then went out to dinner at PF Chang’s afterward to celebrate.
2. Javier, the hubby. He receives a huge trophy for being so thoughtful! He met us at the restaurant because he was coming straight from an appointment that he had been at all day. And when he walked in, guess what he had in his hand? Flowers. For the bestie on her special day. That’s one of the things that I love about him, his attention to detail.
3. Who doesn’t get a trophy? Me!! I hurt myself during my workout on Tuesday. I know this may be a silly question, but do women have groin muscles like men do? Well if we do, I hurt mine! I went to an earlier class than I normally do on Tuesday’s because I needed to make it to the board meeting on time to see my friend. The class that I go to on Wednesday’s with the instructor that totally kicks my butt…well, that same instructor gives the same class on Tuesday’s too, and that’s the one I went to. When I walked in (about ten minutes late) they were already fully into the workout! So of course, I did the smart thing and instead of taking a couple of minutes to warm-up off to the side, I jumped right into the workout! This is the instructor that I told you recently got certified in CrossFit and has since changed the structure of his class to make it straight CF. I definitely ain’t complaining!!! We were standing on steps with 3 rizers under each side doing lunges, forward and backward, and I had a 10 pound weight plate in each hand. On one of the lunges backward, off of the step, I felt a pop in my muscle at the top of my leg where the thigh meets the hip. The pop was weird; it was so shocking and quick! That’s when I did smart thing #2 and kept going full-force for the rest of the class instead of stopping. Oh, and then I ran 2 miles on it later too. Needless to say, that was noooooot the smartest thing I’ve ever done! It took me back to my high school days when I continued to play basketball after I had torn my ACL and when it popped out I would just pop it back in and kept going like nothing was wrong. Ouch!! #craziness
A quick Run streak update:
RUNstreak: as of tonight, 70 days and counting…
The “Greatness is ours” Nike commercial. The Pr and Marketing people at Nike are amazingly good at their jobs!! They are right on the money. Every. Single. Time. This latest commercial, in two words? Inspiring and motivating! I read a little bit of background about the young man who made the commercial and his story is great!! You can read about his story here. What I love most about this campaign is the fact that it lets us believe that there is already greatness within us all. In a time where we are all inspired yet humbled watching the Olympic greats, Nike tells us that we may not all be Olympic athletes but we all have miracles within us. It’s beautiful, really!
Friday favorites – OLYMPIC edition:
- Misty May Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings win gold – love, love, love them and have been following them since High School!!! I know I mostly talk about Basketball, which was undoubtedly my favorite, but I played (and loved) Volleyball too. They were my favs then and they continue to be my favs now…and I WISH they would go for Gold in Rio in 2016 too!
- Alison Felix – 200m gold FINALLY!!
- Kenya’s David Rashida setting the World Record in the Men’s 200m race – love his story because he is such a nice, simple man from humble roots…and he runs to make his country and fellow tribesmen proud!
- Women’s Soccer team wins the gold…and gains redemption from losing the World Cup to the same team last year
- Ashton Eaton winning gold in the Decathlon – although no one really doubted he could do it, it was nice that he actually did do it. I love that he’s so down-to-Earth, and in an interview I watched with him and the silver medallist, Trey Hardee, whom he considers a friend, Ashton credited him Hardee with helping him train to be more successful. Talk about humble, which is an unknown concept for some athletes celebrating their Olympic success. I don’t wish to take anything away from Usain bolt because his athletic accomplishments are impressive to say the least, but it’s nice when an athlete doesn’t’ feel the need to toot his own horn.
And my last favorite and something you GOTTA TRY – I made this crazy simple crockpot Bar-b-que chicken earlier this week and it was thebomb.com!!!! I can’t take credit for this recipe; I didn’t make it up myself, I actually saw it somewhere, I just can’t remember where!! Here’s my version of the recipe:
“Crazy good” Crockpot Bar-b-que Chicken
4 chicken breasts
1/2 c diced red onion
1 cup diced pineapple
1 bottle bar-b-que sauce
Place the chicken breasts at the bottom of the
crockpot and put the onion, pineapple, and sauce over the top of it.
Put the lid on, turn it to LOW and cook it for 6-8
That’s it. So easy and delicious, my favorite two things! I made drop biscuits, homemade coleslaw, baked beans, and corn to go along with it. We had lots of leftovers of the chicken and I froze it for a quick meal sometime next week. I’m thinking next time we’ll make pulled-chicken bar-b-que sandwiches. I will definitely be putting this one on the menu rotation!
Five questions for you:1. What are some of your favorite things right now?
2. What was your favorite workout this week? When you get injured, do you take it easy like you should?
3. Have you seen the Nike commercial? What are some of your favorite inspiring commercials being played right now?
4. What are some of your favorite Olympic moments so far?
5. What was your favorite meal that you made this week?